Sunday, May 4, 2008

Well, I finally started a blog

People have been telling me for a long time that I should have a blog, and now that I am out of classes and don't have a job, I have time to write one, so here it is. I don't expect anyone to read this, but I frequently find myself wanting to write something, and now I have someplace to publish stuff. I know I'm excited. Are you?

I guess I'll take this opportunity to explain where I got the title for this blog, my user name, and the url. "Pleonasm" is an obscure word referring to a redundant phrase or an unnecessary word; examples include "true fact," "PIN number," and "depressing news." I like the name because it is a pretentious display of vocabulary, and I think it applies, because in truth I'm probably not going to say anything here that no one else has said.

The word "appanage" in the url is just a cool word I came across. It refers to a privilege or birthright. I used it because "pleonasm" was taken. Nothing has been posted there in four and a half years, but I still can't have the domain name. Oh, well.

My signature, H. Lewis Allways, was one of four pseudonyms considered by author Eric A. Blair and his publisher before they decided upon George Orwell. I love Orwell and suggest everyone read as much of him as possible. Keith Olbermann doesn't like the name, but I do.

Well, I guess that about wraps up my first post. If anybody reads this, check back often. I'll update this frequently, at least throughout the summer. Or don't come back, and I honestly won't be that offended.

No comments: