Tuesday, May 20, 2008

The aesthetics of science

I wanted to respond to a comment that Maddie left on my second Templeton post, but I couldn't fit in all I wanted to say, so I'll use this post to cover all the ground I couldn't in my response.

Maddie wrote about the standards of evidence that would be necessary to justifiably believe in a god. The only thing even approaching positive evidence would be a demonstration of some phenomenon that cannot be explained by any natural cause. Even then, attributing any specific characteristics to this hypothetical supernatural force is completely baseless. The human race has learned enough to graduate beyond that level of thinking.

When I was a child, I struggled to reconcile the stories in the bible with things that I knew to be fact- stories like the creation (I didn't realize at the time that there were two mutually exclusive stories in Genesis), the Noachian Flood, the sun standing still in the sky so Joshua could complete his genocide against the Amorites, etc. The more I thought about those stories, the clearer it became that they could not have happened. I was pulled in both directions, but I had always found the science more compelling than the myths. Everything I learned about science made sense. To borrow a phrase from physicist Brian Greene, the universe is elegant. The stories in the bible, with all of their contradictions are other various absurdities, never came together in the same way.

That is an aesthetic judgment, I guess. Based on that judgment, though, I can't figure out the appeal of pseudoscience. It isn't enough that we, a horribly limited species in an insignificant little corner of space, have found a way to reach out across the universe and determine with a very high level of precision how it works? We also need to look at the planets moving through the sky and come up with a way that they supposedly affect our daily lives? Science is so much more proactive, using our own faculties to reach out into the cold beauty of the universe and snatch a little piece of it for ourselves. The notion that our personalities and the details of our lives are dictated by some hazy astrological mechanism is so much less life-affirming.

I see the same glaring discrepancy in homeopathy. The growth of our medical knowledge is perhaps more astounding than our progress in astrophysics- it roughly doubles every two years. The exponential gains of medical science are not merely an inspiring display of the human capacity for discovery- they mean advances in the human condition on a daily basis. The fundamental changes that medicine promises in the coming decades are startling in their scope and brilliance. Medicine is a branch of science that should generate awe in every human being. And yet some are not impressed- they insist on buying into homeopathy, which operates on the principle that water 'remembers' the properties of past solutes, so that medicine diluted to absurdly low concentrations retains its beneficial effect. This seems to me an obscene abdication of reason.

Are we somehow not packaging the truth properly? Surely, the comforting appeal of homeopathy and other myths must pale in comparison to the inherent beauty of the truths that human endeavor has revealed. Reality should need no marketing campaign. And yet people look askance at you if you say you don't believe in these myths. Granted, most who believe the Christian mythology wouldn't link their historical 'get out of reality free' card to the 'get out of reality free' cards others use for astronomy and medicine and so forth, but I challenge anyone to point out a substantive distinction.

What am I going on about? If all those good folks in the heartland think the world is only 6,000 years old, well, shucks, they just can't be wrong.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

On the other hand, don't you think that maybe science can sometimes be fueled by man's arrogance? Things being done "in the name of science" is sometimes terrifying. Think of Frankenstein (I mean, I know that's a little absurd, but honestly now, isn't anyone a bit weirded about about the whole human-animal hybrid Dr. Moreau thing).
I think something that could be at the heart of what you're saying is a sort of nature v. science mindset. Science can be a symbol of man's arrogance and disregard for nature. Homopathetic medicine and holistic lifestyles are, in my mind, attempts to get back to a more natural lifestyle. In this day, it's fairly challenging to live "naturally" because of scientific and technological progress.
I'm not saying "science bad!", because curiosity and thirst for knowledge is a great thing, and will probably go a long way in helping to fix a lot of what has gone wrong in our progress, however, I understand those who look more to different methods and ideas.


Hi, this is Leyla, by the way.

Vergilius said...

Frankenstein is not real.

Nature is not the enemy of science. Science is the interrogation of nature; it is the effort to understand that natural world.

There is nothing unnatural about scientific advancement, in fact quite the opposite. If scientists had a disregard for nature, they would not be studying it.

What does "living naturally" mean? If the fruits of scientific study are outside the realm of living naturally, while homeopathy, psychic healing, crystals, and chelation therapy are within, I'll pass, thank you.