Saturday, December 6, 2008

Semester's Over (If You Want It)

Since the semester is over, I'm going to have a bunch of time on my hands. So I'm going to start blogging again. Hooray.

Yesterday I borrowed Paul Krugman's latest book, The Conscience of a Liberal, from the library. I anticipate that the book is going to be pretty similar to Supercapitalism by Robert Reich. The thesis is that America's postwar consensus on political and economic issues was what made the last century the American Century and that the radical right must be stopped from dismantling the social safety net of the New Deal.

The book's title is a reference to Barry Goldwater's 1960 The Conscience of a Conservative, which galvanized movement conservatism in the United States. Krugman is taking aim primarily at that movement, so he wants his book to serve as a foil to Goldwater's.

Krugman spends the first two chapters laying out parallels between the last 40 years and the Gilded Age, which is by no means a novel comparison. I think it holds up well, though. Krugman points out that the groups that would later become FDR's New Deal coalition were divided along racial and geographical lines during the Gilded Age, and that conservatives are working to do the same thing today. Conscience was published before Sarah Palin came onto the scene and started throwing around the "real America" meme, but she was far from the first to latch onto that wedge rhetoric. It's been a favorite right-wing trope for years.

The author is a stalwart Keynesian, and he has recently been arguing that the government's response to the current economic slump should be an aggressive fiscal stimulus. I anticipate that the book will have lots of nice things about Roosevelt and the New Deal. Since I'm a huge nerd, I hope it gets pretty wonkish. Check back here for my take on the rest of the book.

No comments: